What is the penalty for impersonating a member of the golf media? From Alex Miceli at Golf World:
In one of the best cases of chutzpah in modern media centers, a fan sneaked into Tiger Woodsâ€™ news conference Sunday after The Memorial and sat amongst the ink-stained wretches, two rows from Tiger, waiting for a chance to get a Woods autograph.
After 19 questions, the guy could wait no longer.
â€œJackâ€™s going to hate me for this,â€ the interloper said, standing. â€œTiger, congratulations for winning The Memorial. Iâ€™m a normal person that snuck in here with a patron badge. I was just wondering if I could get an autograph.â€
After a lot of stunned media looked at one another, Tiger snickered before red-faced security staff escorted the man out of the interview room.
Nicklaus was classic with his response.
â€œIf heâ€™s got that much guts, he can get it, right?â€
And then the patronâ€™s badge was passed up to Woods, who signed it and passed it back to security to deliver to the very gutsy patron.
Since he was so sucessful in the media room, if I was there I would have given the person a chance to impersonate Ron Sirak or Doug Ferguson. Who knows, they may have done a good job of reporting the tournament. Cue the sarcastic laughter.
From personal experience at the two tournaments I have blogged, the security person by the media room door was always the same. After the first day they would recognize me and not ask to see my credential.
At the ADT Championship, there were two ways of getting in the media center. The main entrance where a guard was, and a back entrance door alongside the interview room. This was next to a parking lot that was used by officials and tournament cars. All someone would have to do was walk past the signs warning not to go further (but didn’t have any guards around) and get to the interview room via the parking lot.
If the LPGA ever reads this post, they probably won’t appreciate my sharing these secrets. Well, I could have said something worse. Like what if a woman tried to impersonate….never mind. If you want to keep non media members out of the press area, all exits and entrances need to be covered.
- Tiger Woods to return next week at Match Play
- Tiger Woods to be fined for criticism of official
- Tiger Woods has knee surgery and will miss 4-6 weeks
- Tiger Woods wins Accenture Match Play
- Tiger Woods Apologizes to Spazes
- Will Tiger Woods be rusty when he returns to the PGA Tour?
- Tiger Woods rallies to win Dubai Desert Classic
- Tiger Puts Shot on Clubhouse Roof
- Tiger Woods Misses Cut at U.S. Open
- Tiger Woods to return at The Masters
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed