The Tallahassee Democrat has the scoop-
Bobby Bowdenâ€™s legendary coaching career at Florida State University is expected to end Tuesday, the Tallahassee Democrat has learned.
Bowden is expected to announce his resignation by way of a statement to be released Tuesday, sources told the Democrat.
As part of his retirement, Bowden is expected to be offered a non-coaching position at FSU for an unspecified amount of time. In addition to any settlement compensation that may be negotiated as part of his retirement, Bowden is also entitled to $1 million upon his retirement as part of a clause in his coaching contract that was agreed upon at least 10 years ago.
It is unclear if Bowden will coach the bowl game or not, but sources have said if he does coach one last game then the Gator Bowl may try to select FSU for its Jan. 1 game.
I’d be surprised if Bowden isn’t allowed to coach the Seminoles one last time. He has been the only football head coach the school has known for 34 years. When Bowden took over FSU was a wreck. A independent that schools big and small were beating up on. It was either 1972 or 1973 that the Seminoles went without a win for the year(The Florida Gators had a similar year in 1979 but had one tie). Bowden quickly reversed the school’s football fortunes. In his second year FSU went 10-2, in his 4th year the Seminoles went 11-0 and received an invitation to the Orange Bowl to play Oklahoma. Florida State got its ass kicked 24-7 on Jan. 1st 1980, but the next year pulled stunning road upsets at Nebraska and Ohio on the way to a second straight OB engagement with Oklahoma. The second time around was a great battle that only saw the Sooners win 18-17. Bowden had established the Seminoles as a Division One football in five years.
FSU football fans won’t soon forget Bowden and his legacy. Assistant Coach Jimbo Fisher is expected to be named Bowden’s replacement.
- On a happy note- Florida State defeats West Virginia 33-21
- Bobby Bowden Not Quite Ready to Retire
- Tommy Bowden out as Clemson coach
- Reports say Florida State will annonce Jimbo Fisher as Bobby Bowden’s successor
- Jimbo Fisher FSU’s New Offensive Coordinator
- Bobby Bowden’s Swan Song- Florida State may get Gator Bowl invite
- Paterno and Bowden Headline 2006 Hall of Fame Class
- On the warpath- Florida St. beats Ohio St. 37-6
- Clemson’s Tommy Bowden Hit in Head with Liquor Bottle
- College Bowl Game Overload
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed