Oakland Athletics prospect Grant Desme is retiring from baseball to enter the priesthood.
Desme was recently selected the 2009 Arizona Fall League MVP and was considered one of the top prospects in Oakland’s system.
“We respect Grant’s decision and wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors,” A’s general manager Billy Beane said in a statement.
The 23-year-old outfielder batted .288 with 31 homers, 89 RBIs and 40 stolen bases in 131 games at Class-A Kane County and Stockton last season.
1950′s and 60′s baseball player Frank Thomas supposedly studied for the priesthood before becoming a professional baseball player.
Rob Neyer’s blog post said Desme, who played college ball for Cal Poly, wasn’t a top prospect. In part because of his age and high strikeout rate
Yes, that sounds terribly pessimistic. The point is that Desme wasn’t a sure thing — not a Grade A prospect. He was a Grade B prospect, or maybe a B+ for the people who really loved him. The A’s need star hitters if they’re ever to get somewhere, and Desme didn’t look like a future star.
Coincidentally I’m leaving for a Catholic Men’s retreat in only minutes. This will be my last blog post till Sunday.
- Frank Cornish, Cowboys Super Bowl Lineman, Dies at 40
- Former NFL LB Mel Kaufman dead at age 50
- John Madden retires after 30 years in booth
- Jeff Kent retires; next stop Cooperstown
- NFL Draft 2009 Round 6 #197 – Dallas Cowboys – S Stephen Hodge
- Carlos Zambrano not re-signed… yet.
- MLB suspends Detroit Tiger Fernando Rodney for toss into crowd
- Detroit Lions Draft
WR Tim TooneMr. Irrelevant
- Former NFL Center Curtis Whitley dead at 39
- Frank Thomas Pillow Night
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed