Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson usually make this tournament their first of the year.AP-
Farmers Insurance has signed a four-year agreement to be the title sponsor at Torrey Pines for the next four years.
The company stepped in at the last minute this year — 10 days before the opening round — to give one of the more popular PGA Tour events on the West Coast a sponsor.
The tour announced the new deal Monday with the Farmers Insurance Open. The purse will be $5.8 million next year, which is $500,000 more than when Buick was last the title sponsor.
San Diego has turned into one of the top tour stops, though that could be fleeting. Player tastes change, as can be seen with tournaments like Pebble Beach and the Bob Hope that once upon a time drew top fields but not now. Ten years from now San Diego could be like the Sony Open. In the meantime, Farmers made a good pickup.
- Farmers Insurance Group to sponsor San Diego Open
- FBR out as PGA Tour sponsor
- LPGA Tour loses title sponsor ADT
- PGA Tour season opener has new sponsor
- US Bank drops sponsorship of Milwaukee PGA Tour stop
- No more PODS Championship after 2008?
- Tour event in Atlanta discontinued due to lack of sponsor
- LPGA Tour won’t return to Oklahoma in 2009
- PGA Tour’s Doral tournament in need of a new sponsor
- LPGA Tour Championship set but without sponsor
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed