Police evacuated Cox Arena on the campus of San Diego State on Thursday, hours before a first-round NCAA Tournament basketball game, after a bomb-sniffing dog signaled a potential problem at a hot dog stand.
The building was cleared while police tried to determine if there was an explosive device in the hot dog stand, assistant vice president for marketing and communications Jack Beresford told Reuters.
He said it was not immediately clear how many people were inside the building at the time but that the teams had not yet arrived.
ESPN’s Jay Bilas reported that Marquette was on its bus at the hotel and had not been cleared to come to the arena. Tip-off between the Golden Eagles and Alabama is scheduled at 2:40 p.m. ET.
ESPN.com’s Wayne Drehs reported the games will be delayed at least two hours.
“A bomb-sniffing dog noticed something in a hot dog cart,” Beresford said. “They got a hit on something that was in the cart itself.”
Later games include UCLA vs. Belmont at 4:55 p.m. ET, Illinois vs. Air Force at 7:25 p.m. ET and Washington vs. Utah State at 9:45 p.m. ET.
Cross-posted from Backcountry Conservative.
- Penguins Reportedly Staying in Pittsburgh
- Up in the air- Spectator removed from rafters at Detroit Red Wing game
- Its Time to Go Bowling…
- Jason Ray, Tarheel Mascott, Dies from Injuries
- And if you think Randy Moss is screwed up . . .
- Pittsburgh Penguins Meeting to Discuss Future of Arena
- Rich Rodriguez Likely to Be Offered Alabama Job
- North Carolina Student Mascot Dies
- MLB Pitcher Luis Ayala unharmed after kidnap attempt
- Terrell Owens Reportedly Attempts Suicide
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed