Domanick Davis will sit out the 2006 season with a bad knee.
Convinced that his left knee would preclude him from being ready for the start of the season, and that he probably would not be a factor this year because of his continuing physical problems, the Houston Texans on Saturday placed tailback Domanick Davis on injured reserve.
By definition, the move ends Davis’ 2006 season before it even began and means that coach Gary Kubiak will go into his debut campaign without the leading rusher in franchise history. The decision to place Davis on injured reserve, and allow him to rehabilitate for 2007, came after considerable deliberation and after much input from the team’s medical staff.
Houston is now perilously inexperienced at tailback and the loss of Davis will lend further scrutiny to the Texans’ decision to bypass Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush and instead choose defensive end Mario Williams with the top overall selection in the 2006 draft. In defense of the Texans, team officials could not have envisioned at draft time that the seemingly innocuous injury that Davis suffered in the final month of last season would have sidelined him for such a prolonged period.
The starter for the Sept. 10 season opener will be rookie Wali Lundy, a sixth-round draft choice from the University of Virginia. The backup is second-year veteran Vernand Morency, a third-round pick in 2005 who logged only 46 carries in his rookie season.
Houston released veteran running back Antowain Smith on Friday and the Texans might be forced to scour the waiver wire this weekend in an attempt to add depth at the position.
There were rumors earlier this week, which Kubiak was forced to debunk, that the Texans were prepared to release Davis if his knee did not quickly respond to treatment. But because of the injury, Houston essentially could not have cut Davis and, had the team attempted to, it would almost certainly have faced a grievance.
You think they wish they’d taken Reggie Bush now?
- Kubiak: Domanick Davis Not Being Cut
- Domanick Davis Changes Name to Domanick Williams
- Texans Whiff Chosing Williams over Bush
- Texans release QB David Carr
- Mario Williams and his Toes
- Texans Sign Williams
- Could Bush Fall to #5?
- Reggie Bush Threatens Camp Holdout
- Sean Landeta Next Patriots Punter?
- Strahan and Petitgout Done for Year
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed