If you’ve got a couple billion dollars laying around and are trying to stretch your dollar, you could do worse than buying an NFL franchise.
This year the average NFL team is worth $898 million, 211 percent more than when Forbes began calculating team values eight years ago. Look at it this way: Football team values have increased 11 times more than the S&P 500 since 1998. Profitability? This year the average NFL team posted $30.8 million in operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization), versus $5.3 million in 1997.
So, how does your team stack up?
Once again, the Washington Redskins top the list. Despite having what most regard as the worst stadium experience in the league–mostly owing to its remote location from the city and the nightmare of trying to drive out after the game–Daniel Snyder has put together quite a package. The hapless Minnesota Vikings, despite having been a very competitive franchise, is the least valuable in the NFL.
The Dallas Cowboys are third on the list despite playing in a stadium built in 1971. They should rocket to the top once their new place opens up in Arlington for the 2009 season.
- Dallas Cowboys Most Valuable Sports Franchise
- Golf World’s Ron Sirak is at it again
- Michelle Wie Places 4th on Best-Paid Youngsters List
- Joe Gibbs Returning to Redskins in 2007
- Tagliabue May Retire
- Beth Daniel named 2009 US Solheim Cup Team Captain
- Redskins Sign Safety Archuleta
- Mike Shanahan to be next Washington Redskins coach
- SEC Limits South Carolina Rooster Crows
- Things are looking up? Cleveland beats New Jersey 94-86
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed