A fan asks Dallas Cowboys.com beat writer Mickey Spagnola to compare Tony Romo to Cowboys quarterbacks of the past. The results are rather surprising:
Bryan Hunter, Allen, Texas: If you take Tony Romo’s current stats and factor them out over 16 games, what do you get, and how would his numbers compare with those of Troy Aikman or Roger Staubach?
Mickey: Now that’s a great idea. OK, to be fair to Romo, here is what I’ll do. I’ll add up the Pro Bowl quarterback’s stats for only his eight starts, then factor them out over a 16-game season. Here’s what it comes to: 334 of 498 (67 percent), 4,356 yards, 26 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. That would be a QB rating of 101.1. So, that would be the second-highest single-season rating in club history, only Roger Staubach’s 104.8 in 1971 better. The 334 completions would tie Danny White’s club record set in 1983. The completion percentage would be second to Troy Aikman’s club record of 69.1 set in 1993. The yards gain would crush Danny White’s club record of 3,980 set in 1983. And the 26 touchdowns would rank fourth behind Danny White’s 29 in 1983, White’s 28 in 1980 and Staubach’s 27 in his final year of 1979. Pretty spectacular, I would say.
Of course, the rules are a lot more offense friendly than in Staubach’s or White’s days–and even Aikman’s. Still, there’s no denying that Romo is off to an impressive start through his first eight games. I’d like to see a few more years of it, though, before putting him up in the Ring of Honor, let alone putting him ahead of any of those guys.
I think it’s safe to say, though, that Romo is the best quarterback the Cowboys have had since Aikman retired. Quincy Carter, Drew Bledsoe, and Vinny Testaverde all had some good games but nothing like this level of consistency.
- Aikman Says Romo Best Cowboys QB Ever
- Tony Romo Sets Good Records in Lousy Performance
- Danny White Loves Him Some Romo
- Romo Breaks Aikman TD Record – With 7 Games Left
- Tony Romo’s Fast Start
- Top 25 NFL Players of Last 25 Years
- Cowboys Win Wild Game Despite Six Romo Turnovers
- Cowboys Working on Tony Romo Contract Extension
- Tony Romo Enjoying Limelight
- T.O. Dallas Cowboys MVP?
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed