He is reported to be in stable condition.
Richard Zednik sustained a major gash in his neck when the right skate of Panthers’ teammate Olli Jokinen with his back to Zednik caught him with 9:56 left in Sunday’s game at Buffalo and the Sabres leading 4-3. The game was suspended temporarily.
Sabres’ doctors stopped the bleeding and Zednik was transported to Buffalo General Hospital in “stable condition,” said Panthers team spokesman Justin Copertino. Sabres’ team doctor William Hartrich and Dr. Les Biffon worked on Zednick to stop the bleeding.
Blood poured out of Zednik’s neck as he skated to the Panthers’ bench and was quickly escorted off the ice with a white towel on his neck. A trail of blood remained from the goal line in the Sabres’ zone all the way to the Panthers’ bench.
Jokinen was tangled with Buffalo’s Clarke Macarthur near the boards and while falling down kicked his skate up into the air. It sliced his linemate’s neck.
Zednik’s injury was a fluke happening. Let’s hope he gets well soon.
Buffalo fans were classy afterwards, giving a standing ovation after Zednik’s condition was reported. I’m a Florida fan and say thanks Buffalo.
Florida lost the game 5-3. Their climb to first place on hold for now.
- A year later- Florida and Richard Zednik defeat Toronto 5-4
- Florida Panther Richard Zednik out for several weeks
- Florida Panther Forward Richard Zednik signs with Russian league team
- Florida Panthers lose their sixth in a row
- Shape up or be dealt, FL Panther veterans told
- Phoenix C Olli Jokinen to miss at least two weeks with shoulder injury
- Carolina Hurricane Goalie Cam Ward taken to hospital with a cut in his leg
- Florida Panthers- Even more pain
- Outdueled- Florida Panthers beat Buffalo 6-2
- Buffalo Sabres lose 10th game in a row
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed