During today’s Masters broadcast, CBS announcer Bobby Clampett referred to Chinese golfer Liang Wen-Chong as “the chinaman.”
According to CBS spokeswoman LeslieAnne Wade, Clampett later apologized on the Masters webcast.
Clampett has been working Amen Corner the last two days, and his commentary can be heard both online and on DirecTV. He used the “chinaman” slur while describing Liang’s round and explaining that he will not make the cut.
There is no word yet on whether Clampett will be disciplined by CBS.
Clampett is only a part-time announcer. If you suspend him for three months and that’s about when he’ll next be scheduled to work a broadcast. Not really, Clampett is working next week’s Ginn Open on the LPGA Tour.
I don’t know what the controversy is. He called Liang what he was. I refer to my wife Leonita sometimes as a Filipino, a Filipina, a Flip, and even a member of the Filipina(or Filipino) mafia, she doen’t get upset with me. She was born in the Philippines. Golf is getting politically correct.
- CBS leaves the LPGA Ginn Club Open for a suspended play PGA Tour event
- Stick a fork in it- The LPGA’s Ginn Tribute is dead
- Will Golf World’s Ron Sirak please pick up the white courtesy phone?
- LPGA Ginn Tribute in trouble?
- Asleep at the switch- Rich Gannon and Kevin Harlan miss Ted Ginn TD punt return
- 2009 LPGA Schedule is out
- Lorena Ochoa wins Corona by 11 shots; qualifies for the Hall of Fame
- Annika Sorenstam to miss LPGA Tour events due to back injury
- Ji-Yai Shin to play at 2008 LPGA season opener
- Karrie Webb to play in the Australian Open
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed