Scouts, Inc.: 58th
Strengths: Has a quick first step and flashes the ability to get into position quickly. Gets adequate hand placement, has active feet and flashes the ability to sustain. Moves well laterally, can reach defenders lined up over outside shoulder and can seal the edge. Gets into pass set quickly and uses long arms to ride edge rushers past the pocket. Footwork is inconsistent and is vulnerable to double moves but can redirect in pass protection and has the potential to develop into a very good pass blocker once gains more experience. Moved from tight end to tackle in 2005 and can still line up there in goal line situations. Tall, times jumps fairly well and blocked a field goal attempt last year.
Weaknesses: Doesn’t always take sound angles to blocks and can struggle to get into position at the second level. Plays too high, hasn’t shown great lower body strength and is going to have problems driving two-gap defenders off the ball. Bends at the waist rather than the knees, is undersized and is going to have problems anchoring against bull rushers. Dives at defenders’ feet rather than attacking the thigh pad and isn’t an effective cut blocker at this point. Lacks ideal awareness and doesn’t always adjust well to line stunts and blitzes.
Overall: Brown arrived at Virginia Tech as a tight end in 2003 and redshirted his first year. In 2004, he played in all 13 games as a reserve tight end, finishing the season with three receptions for 64 yards and a touchdown. He was switched to right tackle in 2005 and started all 26 games over the next two seasons (20005-06). He switched to left tackle in the spring of 2007 and started all 12 games as a senior. Brown is a former tight end who is still somewhat raw and inconsistent but there’s no questioning his upside, as he has prototypical size, initial quickness and athletic ability. With that mind he projects as a third round pick.
Rick Gosselin: 56
Quiiiite a reach here. Clearly, a need move rather than a value move. I don’t like it.
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 1 #12 – Denver Broncos – Ryan Clady
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 1 #17 – Detroit Lions – Gosder Cherilus
- NFL Draft 2009 Round 6 #181 – Miami Dolphins – OT Andrew Gardner
- NFL Draft 2011 Round 1 #32 Green Bay Packers OT Derek Sherrod
- NFL Draft 2010 â€“ Round 1 #4 â€“ Washington Redskins- OT Trent Williams
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #5 – Arizona Cardinals – Levi Brown
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #28 – San Francisco 49ers – OT Joe Staley
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 1 #15 – Kansas City – Branden Albert (via Detroit Lions)
- NFL Draft 2011 Round 1 #17 New England Patriots OT Nate Solder
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #3 – Cleveland Browns – OT Joe Thomas
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed