You may be interested to hear why Shintaro Ishihara says that. From Reuters-
Tokyo governor Shintaro Ishihara warned on Wednesday the 2016 Olympics could be the last Games, with global warming an immediate threat to mankind.
Tokyo is bidding to host the 2016 summer Olympics with Chicago, Rio de Janeiro and Madrid also in the running. The International Olympic Committee will elect the winning candidate during its session on Oct. 2 in the Danish capital.
“It could be that the 2016 Games are the last Olympics in the history of mankind,” Ishihara told reporters at a Tokyo 2016 press event ahead of the vote.
“Global warming is getting worse. We have to come up with measures without which Olympic Games could not last long.
To stave off the threat global warming poses to mankind, I propose the Tokyo Governor and other Japanese officials cancel the 2016 Olympics should Tokyo be picked as the site of the games. Think of all the resources that can be used to save mankind instead of being wasted on frivolous sporting activities. Anyone agree with me?
Hat tip- Doug at Below the Beltway
- Hiroshima, Nagasaki to bid for 2020 Summer Olympics
- Wie backs Korean 2014 Games bid
- Concerned NBA Fan: No Vote For Shane Battier, others
- IOC strips Marion Jones of 5 medals
- China, Amnesty International and the 2008 Summer Olympics
- Olympic discus great Al Oerter dies at 71
- Beijing claims profit on Olympic hosting
- Former Olympic champion Bob Mathias dead at 75
- Tyson Gay Out of Olympic 200
- Snowstorm forces postponement of Atlanta-Washington NBA game
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed