Some mediocre college football teams want Santa Claus to come early this year. From AP-
Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe wants the NCAA to treat teams with 6-6 records the same as teams with winning records when it comes to bowl games.
Under current rules, teams with .500 records can receive a bowl bid only if the school’s conference already has a deal with a bowl and all other teams with winning records have been invited to postseason games.
A winning Division I team should receive a bowl bid before any 6-6 teams. I’ve lived long enough to remember Florida State(8-3 in 1978) and the University of Miami(7-4 in 1982) being locked out of the post season in spite of their having better records than teams that did get bids. The Independence Bowl passed on the Hurricanes to invite schools, Kansas State(6-4-1) and Wisconsin(6-5). Who then played a real snoozer of a 14-3 game.
That said, I strongly believe there are too many bowl games played these days. Nothing would be lost if about six of them went away IMHO.
- Are you ready for some bowling?
- Sun Belt Conference Presidents- No more body bag games
- Sack the BCS
- College Bowl Game Overload
- Univ. of Miami to fans- Don’t take any Orange Bowl Souvenirs
- Miami Fires Larry Coker
- Randy Shannon New Miami Head Coach
- Bobby Bowden’s Swan Song- Florida State may get Gator Bowl invite
- Forrest Gump goes to the Univ. of Miami
- Patriots Awesome But No Lock to Win Super Bowl
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed