The team is scheduled to take part in the 16-team African Cup of Nations Championship. From AP-
Gunmen in an area plagued by separatist violence opened fire Friday on a bus carrying Togo’s national soccer team to a tournament in this southwest African country, wounding at least six people including two players, an official said.
Some players said they wanted to pull out of the African Cup of Nations tournament following the violence, but an official in Angola said it would go ahead as planned.
Togo’s bus in a convoy from Congo was six miles across the border in Angola when it came under fire. The bus driver died in the 30-minute ambush, according to Togo captain Emmanuel Adebayor, who was not hurt.
One player said they were ‘machine gunned like dogs’. Some players have expressed a desire to leave. I hope they don’t and pray the two wounded team members make a speedy recovery.
pulls out ofstays in Africa Cup of Nations tournament
- Javelin kills German athletics official
- Jason Ray, Tarheel Mascott, Dies from Injuries
- North Carolina Student Mascot Dies
- Dubai denies visa for Israeli tennis player
- Harness driver-trainer Daryl Busse dead at age 67
- 1 man killed, 50-60 horses destroyed in Ohio Fairgrounds fire
- All Fired up because of Golf
- Ethel Funches, black women’s golf champion, dead at 96
- LPGA Tour announces new tournament in Malaysia
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
- OTB Sports linked with Togo pulls out of Africa Cup of Nations tournament...
Comments are Closed