Nick Saban has added Rice offensive coordinator Major Applewhite to his staff at Alabama, according to numerous published reports. The Houston Chronicle says he will be the Tide’s quarterbacks coach but other sources, including the Thomas Murphy of the Mobile Register, say he is in line to be the offensive coordinator. (Update: An updated Chronicle report says, “Major Applewhite, will join the Alabama staff in the near future, serving as offensive coordinator or co-coordinator/quarterbacks coach.”)
Interestingly, LSU reportedly is interested in him for the coordinator job and there are even reports that he might be, at the age of 27, a leading candidate for the head coaching job at Rice with Todd Graham’s departure for Tulsa.
Murphy explains why Applewhite is such a hot prospect:
Rice offensive coordinator Applewhite, 28, helped lead the Owls to their first bowl berth in 45 years this season with an explosive offense. Rice averaged 27 points and 345 yards per game and produced a 1,000-yard quarterback, running back and receiver this season.
Applewhite was also 22-8 as the starting quarterback at Texas, and is the Longhorns’ all-time leader in passing yards (8,353), passing touchdowns (60), passing attempts (1,065) and total offense (8,059).
- Major Applewhite Wunderkind Coach
- Saban Continues Building Staff: Fisher Out, Applewhite In?
- Saban Alabama Coaching Staff Complete
- Jason Garrett Alabama’s New Offensive Coordinator?
- Browns Fire Offensive Coordinator Maurice Carthon
- Here we go again- Buffalo Bills fire Offensive Coordinator Turk Schonert
- Jimbo Fisher to Join Saban at Alabama?
- Wade Phillips Gets to Work on Assembling Staff
- Former Dolphin Head Coach Cam Cameron to be Off Coordinator for Baltimore
- Cowboys Coaching Search: Hiring Staff Before Head Coach?
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
- Rhymes With Right
- The Left Right Debate
- Rightwing Guy linked with Iran Be Patient, Your Turn Is Next...
- Wake up America> linked with Pop Quiz!!!!...
- Pop Quiz!!!! at Conservative Times--Republican GOP news source.
- Blue Star Chronicles linked with SoldierÂ’s Belongings are Auctioned Off While he is...
- Perri Nelson's Website linked with More exciting NFC sloppiness!...
- Faultline USA linked with U.S. Military to Ditch the Red Cross for the Red C...
- Pursuing Holiness linked with MLK’s Birthday and One Family’s Race Journey...
- The HILL Chronicles linked with Asalamu aleykum: No we Americans are not Islamophobics
- PoliBlog’s Deportes: A PoliBlog Sideblog linked with Major Applewhite to Coach Alabama’s QBs
Comments are Closed