NFL Preseason – Every Play Doesn’t Count
The gang at Football Outsiders does a live chat during every nationally televised NFL preseason game under the headline “Every Play Doesnâ€™t Count.” The Week 1 wrap-up is pretty funny, pointing out all the inane chatter and distractions from the game that makes up each telecast.
Some key observations:
Michael David Smith: Random thought: Does anyone know how Martz-coached teams have done in the second halves of preseason games? I have a feeling that the Martz schemes are perfectly suited to exploiting defenses that have scrubs on the field. So the fact that both of the Lionsâ€™ backup QBs went for 220 doesnâ€™t say much about the quality of the Lionsâ€™ backup QBs, but it does say a lot about the ability of the Martz offense to attack the defenseâ€™s weak points. Of course, when the regular season starts the Lions wonâ€™t see nearly as many weak points on the opposing defense as they saw against the Bengalsâ€™ third-stringers.
Bill Barnwell: That was some brilliant subtle burying of Aikman (â€[Tyson] Thompson got some carries early in the year but he really struggled to get touches later on with two big guys ahead of himâ€) by Buck (â€Thompson broke his leg in October and went on IRâ€¦â€)
If Herman Edwards actually ran a fashion show, heâ€™d send the same model out there 65 consecutive times and end the show five minutes too late.
Sean McCormick: The full J.P. Losman experience was on display. On a third-down play, he was athletic enough to pluck a bad snap out of the air, roll right and head upfield, weaving through traffic for a twelve-yard gain. The next play, he was supposed to take a one-step drop and throw the quick slant, but he held onto the ball too long, waiting for the receiver to be wide open instead of throwing to the spot, and the result was an incompletion. He just doesnâ€™t seem to get much a pre-snap read. If he wasnâ€™t so mobile, heâ€™d be Rob Johnson.
Much more at the link.
- J.P. Losman Named Buffalo’s Starting QB
- Lakers snap Celtics 19 game winning streak
- Virginia Tech at Duke Roundup
- Cowboys Defeat Seahawks (in Meaningless Exhibition Game)
- It’s over- Detroit beats Washington 19-14
- Dallas Cowboys Make Cuts to Get to 54
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #2 – Detroit Lions – WR Calvin Johnson
- Sweet 600- North Carolina beats Nevada 80-73
- Leinart Impressive, Grossman Not in 3rd Preseason Game
- Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz says drafting QB not out of the question
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed