About a year ago, I explained why Monday Night Football on ESPN Sucks. After watching the network’s college football coverage the last two weeks, though, I think we can strike the “Monday Night” from that: They suck all the time now.
The last two Saturday nights, the Alabama Crimson Tide has been on ESPN. Since I don’t live in Alabama any more, that used to be a good thing, since it meant I got to see the games. Unfortunately, that’s not necessarily true anymore, since ESPN is apparently now run by the people who bring us the Olympics and decided long ago that people aren’t actually interested in the sporting events being covered but, rather, other stuff.
Last week, Alabama played Arkansas in a roller coaster game. Alabama went up by three touchdowns, let Arkansas back into the game, went up by three touchdowns again, and then collapsed to give Arkansas a big lead. Alabama fought back, though, to a thrilling victory with just 8 seconds left on the clock.
A pretty exciting game, right?
Apparently, though, ESPN didn’t think people tuned in late on a Saturday night to watch a college football game would find that stimulating enough. So, they brought in some gal from the women’s soccer team, which were in the middle of a big tournament overseas. And they yapped with her, via telephone no less, for several minutes right during the most critical part of the first half game action. No play-by-play of the game. Often, no cameras on the game, either, since fans would obviously rather see close-ups of the idiot game announcers and a picture of the head of the woman’s soccer player who wasn’t even in the damn booth.
And it got better.
We got to hear about Todd Blackledge’s adventures eating barbecue in Tuscaloosa. With actual footage of him looking at the menu and ordering food. While the game was on!!!
And, to top it off, they brought the annoying woman soccer player back in the second half to interrupt yet more game action.
Last night, Alabama and Georgia played in another close, exciting game that went into overtime.
Again, however, the cameras were on the announcers almost as much as on the game action. Again, we got treated to watching Blackledge eating grilled meat, this time at the pre-game tailgating parties. And some old announcer guy who’s so frail he can’t actually travel one state over to watch a football game was on the telephone for like half an hour yapping about his career while we were missing live football action.
The producers are also too inept to manage game breaks and commercials. Several times, we missed kickoffs, major plays, and other game action because they switched over to show ads or update us on other games and didn’t get back in time. And, each time, they pretended that it hadn’t happened, blithely carrying on as if we hadn’t missed anything.
I’ve been watching football on television for more than thirty years now. I’ve watched local games sponsored by local insurance companies that were better. I’ve literally never seen coverage as bad as what ESPN has put on the last two weeks. It’s absolutely frustrating.
- Monday Night Football on ESPN Sucks
- ESPN Bets on Arena Football
- ESPN Scores Highest Rating Ever with Monday Night Football
- Did Nick Saban really reject a 50 millon dollar offer from Alabama?
- Monday Night Football Crew Didn’t Suck
- Alabama Coaching Search Kicks into High Gear
- Alabama Blows Lead, Comes Back to Beat Arkansas 41-38
- Turn Off “Jacked Up!”
- Kornheiser’s First Season on MNF Could Be His Last
- Alabama Offering Nick Saban 7 Year, $40 Million Deal
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
- PoliBlog’s Deportes: A PoliBlog Sideblog linked with Does ESPN’s Football Coverage Suck?
- Adam's Blog linked with The Strategies That Divide Us
- planck's constant linked with Michael Scheuer of the CIA Bin Laden Unit is an Id...
- Rhymes With Right linked with Review Of The Nine Reveals O'Connor Flaw...
- Rhymes With Right linked with Bravo For Mike Gundy...
- Conservative Cat linked with No Way Would Hitler Be Allowed to Speak at Columbia University...
- The World According To Carl
- Right Truth linked with Early Warning Website...
- The Magical Rose Garden linked with Spotlight on: Pink for October...
- Leaning Straight Up linked with George Soros: The madman behind MoveOn.org...
- CommonSenseAmerica linked with Ahmadinejad Releases Columbia Alumnus Prior to Visit...
- Right Voices linked with OPEN TRACKBACK LINKFEST: Question the timing...
- Big Dogs Weblog linked with The Clinton Mafia...
- The World According To Carl linked with Godly Wisdom — September 24, 2007...
- The World According To Carl
- Monday Night Football Crew Didn’t Suck linked with OTB Sports
Comments are Closed