For the second time in two days, financial considerations cause an NFL team to cut loose one of its stars.
The New Orleans Saints, as expected, parted ways with long-time running back Deuce McAllister by giving him his release Tuesday.
McAllister’s release comes one day after the Jacksonville Jaguars cut the franchise’s all-time leading running back, Fred Taylor. With a $7.5 million cap number and McAllister owed more than $5 million this fall, the Saints figured to either cut his salary or release him.
A news conference was scheduled for Tuesday.
His release puts the Saints under the $123 million salary cap.
In eight seasons in New Orleans, McAllister rushed for 6,096 yards on 1,429 carries.
A team has to do what they have to do to stay within the cap. I just don’t think fans appreciate their favorite players getting cut for this reason only. What can we do about it?
- NFL Draft 2006 – Round 1 #2 – New Orleans – RB Reggie Bush
- Texans Sign Williams
- The Saints keep marching in- New Orleans beats Carolina 30-20
- Reggie Bush Wears #5 Jersey for Trading Card Photo
- Could Bush Fall to #5?
- Saints Set Season Ticket Sales Record
- Kansas City Testing Trade Waters with Johnson
- Ugly finish- Carolina beats New Orleans 23-10
- Woody Williams released by Houston, plans to retire
- Ruling say Yonkers Raceway owed millions of dollars
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed