It was Sharapova’s first win since Amelia Island in April 2008. From AP-
It was her first tennis triumph since April 200Maria Sharapova won her first tournament since returning from a 10-month injury layoff when Jelena Jankovic retired because of an arm injury in the first set of the Toray Pan Pacific final Saturday.
Sharapova was up 5-2 at Ariake Colosseum when the seventh-seeded Serb took a timeout to have her right arm examined by the trainer. Jankovic returned to the court and lost the first two points of the eighth game before retiring.
“It’s disappointing,” said Sharapova, who had arthroscopic surgery to repair a rotator cuff in her right shoulder nearly a year ago. “It’s toward the end of the year and there are a lot of injuries so I wish Jelena a speedy recovery.”
Sharapova seems to like playing in Japan. She also won this tournament in 2006 and won the Tokyo Open in 2003.
This win makes it look hopeful for Sharapova returning to her pre rotator cuff surgery form.
- The return of Maria Sharapova
- P Mike Hampton has a torn rotator cuff
- Pittsburgh Steeler DE Aaron Smith out for the season
- Damaged Goods- Chicago Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa to have shoulder surgery
- Mulder Returns to St. Louis
- Chad Pennington Named Jets No. 1 QB
- Surgery on Hold; Benson to Rehab his Shoulder
- Mulder Close to Decision?
- T.O. Having Second Surgery on Finger
- Roethlisberger to miss season opener due to appendectomy
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed