BRISTOL, Conn. – Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Wednesday night that he was told he was “seconds, maybe a minute away from dying” immediately after his motorcycle accident last month.
Roethlisberger, in his first interview since the June 12 accident, told ESPN’s “SportsCenter” that he doesn’t remember much about the accident when he rammed his motorcycle into a car that was making a left turn in front of him on a Pittsburgh street. He did, however, remember what he was told by people at the scene.
“They told me that I was literally seconds, maybe a minute away from dying because I slit a vein or artery in my mouth or my throat and it was draining blood right into my stomach and luckily the paramedic noticed it and stopped it or else I would have had too much blood in my stomach,” he said in Los Angeles where he was for the taping of the ESPY Awards.
“I remember very few things about the accident,” Roethlisberger said. “I remember one car turning in front of me, I don’t remember the car that hit me, but I remember that first car turning in front of me and the next thing I remember is being in the ambulance and asking, ‘Is this really happening?’
“I said, ‘Tell me this is just a bad dream,’ and he said, ‘No, everything is going to be OK,’ and he asked me, ‘Is there anyone you want me to call?’ … I just gave him two numbers and I don’t remember anything until I woke up from surgery.”
Roethlisberger underwent seven hours of surgery to repair a broken jaw and other facial bones. Tests showed no brain injuries, although he had a mild concussion. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others.
I had a close call in August 2005 after getting a pulmonary embolism. Too bad Ben or I didn’t have a near death experience. We could have answered the following question.
- Roethlisberger May Be Ready for Season Opener
- Roethlisberger to miss season opener due to appendectomy
- Oh Crap – Big Ben in Motorcycle Accident
- Big Ben Not Ready to Talk
- Roethlisberger Fined for Motorcycling Without a License
- Big Ben Injury Update
- Big Ben: “If I ever ride again, it certainly will be with a helmet.”
- LaVar Arrington Injured in Motorcyle Accident
- Ben Roethlisberger Accident Photos
- Chico Corrales Killed in Motorcycle Crash
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed