Yesterday’s CBS broadcast(I taped it while attending the golf) should be shown to all future football announcers to demonstrate what not to do when play is occuring on the field.
On third down, Philadelphia QB Donova McNab failed to complete a pass in the light rain. Seconds after the play was over, CBS cut to the booth and have Gannon and Harlan talk about how hard it is to throw a wet ball and what teams try to do to make it easier. While this is going on Philadelphia lines up to punt from their own 40.
Dolphin WR/KR Ted Ginn hasn’t done a great deal this year, but he has had two kick returns for touchdowns taken back by penalties in the last five games. You’d think the announcers would concentrate on Ginn.
No Gannon and Harlan are still talking wet footballs as Ginn fields the punt at the 13 yard line. Ginn takes off, Gannon and Harlan keep rambling on(Mostly Gannon), Ginn runs past the entire Eagle special teams unit. It isn’t till Gannon is talking about dryers and Ginn has reached the fifty yardline, that the
bozo announcer notices there is a punt return in progress for a touchdown.
“This is Ted Ginn.” Gannon stops to say as the punt returner races to the endzone.
Seconds after the play was over, Harlan mentions a great block that freed Ginn by Michael Lehan that freed Ginn. Lehan made a block but it was totally inconsequential to Ginn’s return. Both were out of the play. Though the person Lehan blocked tried running down Ginn afterwards.
Was Harlan watching the play when it happened, then why didn’t he break into Gannon’s monologue? I make a bet the block was told to Harlan by someone in the production booth.
Here’s the video
You screw up the live call and then can’t call the replay properly either. Great job CBS.
Update- The video is from the Dolphin game, but that is not the CBS announcing crew.
- Florida Panthers winger David Booth’s season in jeopardy
- Trent Green suffers second concussion in two years
- NHL Suspends Defenseman Randy Jones
- Those 0-10 Miami Dolphins
- Florida Panther David Booth taken off ice on stretcher
- Personal Foul- Tennessee beats Miami 27-24 in overtime
- Two many happy returns- Miami Dolphins beat NY Jets 30-25
- Montreal Canadien Maxim Lapierre suspended for 4 games
- Minnesota Vikings’ CB Charles Gordon Suffers ‘Gruesome Injury’
- 1st round pick Ted Ginn Jr to possibly miss three months
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed